Thursday, April 14, 2016

Ch. 12 Krystal Blog Post


Chapter 12 You Only Have So Much Time

It is so true that some teachers feel exhausted after teaching all day and still bring work home to complete.  I have experienced this for myself.  It is very difficult to tell friends “no” when asked to hang out during the weekdays because I am either stuck at work until 6-7 PM or working on assignments at the house.  However, I do know it is not beneficial for the students, when I am feeling exhausted.  I have always planned out at the beginning of the year, how I would spend my time more effectively in the classroom.  It sounds like a great plan until the school year actually begins.  That’s when programs, grades, evaluation assignments, professional developments, grad courses, etc begin to happen.  Trying to find that balance between my career and my personal life has always been a struggle for me.  I throw all of my energy into my career and let my passion drive me.  Unfortunately, that means my family and friends suffer from my absence most of the time.  This chapter has truly opened my eyes to how I am really most likely doing a disservice to myself as well as students.  Feeling burnt out should not be happening.   Although I may not see it, I am probably not utilizing the time in the classroom to the best of my ability.  In future planning, I will reflect on my current teaching schedule and modify or adjust for the coming school year.  I will also spend my summer catching up with those I neglected during this current school year and readings I have thrown to the side.  I will take time out to find out how I can become a more effective teacher and establishing and maintaining a balance between my career and personal life.

 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Krystal,
    Your words in this blog post really captured how every year as teachers our best intentions for working smarter and not harder are never fully realized when the realities of the profession hit us. I agree with Routman though realistically we will never have enough time, but we have to stop complaining and really look at the time we have and how we are using in order to make it more effective.

    ReplyDelete