Thursday, April 14, 2016

Lindsey Layton - Blog Post #7


Lindsey Layton:  Blog Post #7 – Chapter 9:  Emphasize Shared Reading

I really enjoyed reading this chapter because I think it is a great way to share reading with our students and even our own children.  Shared reading allows the teacher to model reading and also allows students the opportunity to read with their own peers. 

            During Shared Reading time, both the students and the teacher have responsibilities.  The students’ main responsibilities are for them to listen, talk with others, respond to the teacher, and think about what is happening in the story/book.  The text that the teacher chooses should be text that will keep the students engaged and interested.  In my classroom, my students thoroughly enjoy reading The Magic Treehouse books because Jack and Annie are younger children about their age.  I feel the students are able to relate to Jack and Annie; therefore, they are more engaged during the reading.  I have found that if my students are engaged and feel successful at reading, than they are more likely to want to read more work harder in the classroom.

            During Shared Reading in my own classroom, I allow the students to turn and talk to each other.  This allows the students to share their ideas with each other, ask questions to each other, and gets them thinking outside of the box.  When we do Share Reading, I will show my students what I am thinking so they realize they should be thinking and asking ideas to themselves while they are reading on their own.  I definitely want to incorporate additional shared reading in my classroom because I feel it is an excellent way to model reading to students. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lindsey,
    I am glad that Routman's suggestions in her chapter on shared reading were beneficial to you because you are already implementing this structure through your Magic Treehouse read alouds. I am glad that you provide students with opportunities to discuss what they are reading and you utilize think alouds to share your thinking as well. Both of these support student growth.

    ReplyDelete