Friday, April 15, 2016

Kelli Donald's Blog Post #7: Routman Chapter 8--Teach Comprehension


Notes
Thinking
We need to begin teaching comprehension by thinking about the texts students are reading as well as the texts we want them to be able to read and write. (p.118)
Are my students reading appropriate level texts?  Are they reading something just because everyone else is, and can they really understand what they are reading?
Placing emphasis on individual comprehension strategies can actually make learning to comprehend more difficult.  The students become so focused on looking for the one concept they miss the overall meaning. (p.119)
I totally agree with the author’s words.  We tend to become so focused on making sure the students understand sequence of events, making conclusions, etc. that we sometimes make the overall meaning of the text a mystery to the students. 
When given the opportunity to reread material, reader’s comprehension almost always goes up. (p.122)
This is so interesting and so accurate.  I think of all the times I, myself, as a reader has had to reread something to understand it better.  This is sometimes a practice that students are very hesitant to do. 
Surveying is an invaluable practice, especially with non-fiction text. (p. 123)
I always have my students complete a story walk before reading any text, fiction and non-fiction, in my classroom.  Glad to know this is as important as I have always thought it was!
Students can’t read for meaning if they are struggling over words or concepts.  Most of the time students should spend reading is spent taking the time to pronounce and define words. (p.127)
I thought it was interesting to note that the author said even leveled text can contain words that can hinder the student’s comprehension.  I am glad to know that in order for someone to fully comprehend what they are reading they should know 95% or more of the words.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kelli,
    I'm glad the notes/thinking chart we shared in March's class was helpful to use when reading this section of Routman. Like you, I got a lot out of this chapter that provided me with lots of possibilities for teaching comprehension in a reading workshop.

    ReplyDelete