Monday, April 25, 2016

Lori Lonon- Blog #7 R. Routman, Reading Essentials, Ch. 5: Organize an Outstanding Classroom Library



Lori Lonon- Blog #7
R. Routman, Reading Essentials, Ch. 5:  Organize an Outstanding Classroom Library


I intentionally skipped over this chapter when rereading this book, mostly because I feel I have a pretty good classroom library (that has certainly evolved over the years.)  However, I have “relearned” something with every chapter so I figured this is good timing since I will soon be packing away the baskets of books and thinking of how I can make my classroom better than ever for next year’s second graders.  In the first part if this chapter Routman makes the case for WHY we need more expansive classroom libraries.  Her suggestions include summer reading programs in which the school provides materials.  What a great way to make use of discarded library books.  I think our students would be more inclined to participate if there were incentives- like a Barnes & Noble giftcard.  Some of the other suggestions are things that our school is already doing (YAY) like helping families sign up for public library cards.  But we certainly could offer summer reading lists- something that I’ve never seen go home with my students for summer since I've been at Lone Oak. 
 
The checklist for evaluating your classroom library is quite helpful.  I was able to check off most items, but I found areas in which I can improve, like books that portray a variety of cultures.   The author recommends that teachers find out what authors and specific titles their students like and add those to their classroom libraries.  I have tried to do this each year and as a result I find interesting new books and authors that I’d otherwise never know about.  Routman also encourages teachers to get students involved in organizing and maintaining the classroom library and gives several suggestions for displaying books.  She concludes by making the connection between organized classroom libraries and the ease of implementing guided reading and conferencing, noting that students who have been trained to use an organized, plentiful classroom library properly are more likely to remained focused on independent or partner reading so that the teacher can hold small groups or conferences without interruptions or misbehavior from the rest of the class.  I can honestly say this is true.  When students are allowed to choose from books they love and know how to find books they CAN read, they become so engrossed and excited about the time given to read to self/someone that I seldom have to stop small group instruction to deal with a behavior issue.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lori,
    I appreciate you taking time to reflect on your classroom library and taking the suggestions and checklist Routman provides to see how can you improve an already great classroom library! Thank you for all you do for your students!

    ReplyDelete